HOV lane in each direction and direct HOV connector at I-5/SR-170 interchange
Construction started late 2010
Ronald Reagan Freeway (SR-118) to Hollywood Freeway (SR-170)
View the project map
Caltrans is constructing a high occupancy vehicle (HOV or carpool) lane in each direction for vehicles with two or more passengers along the Golden State Freeway (I-5) between Ronald Reagan Freeway (SR-118) and Hollywood Freeway (SR-170) in Arleta and Pacoima. In addition, a direct HOV connector is being constructed at the I-5/SR-170 interchange so carpoolers can travel from one freeway directly to another without leaving the HOV lane. This project will improve traffic flow, relieve congestion and encourage ride sharing. The project investment is $140 million and is expected to be completed in late 2014.
Caltrans has a multi-faceted public outreach program in place to inform the public of the construction effort. Notices of community meetings and updated construction advisories will be posted on this website periodically. Thank you for your patience. For more information, please call toll-free (855) 454-6335.
- SR-118 to SR-170: Closures for Sept. 14-20, 2014
- SR-118 to SR-170: Closures for Sept. 7-13, 2014
- SR-118 to SR-170: Closures for Sept. 2-6, 2014
- 118 to 170 Median Barrier Work - Through June 2014
- Intermittent Southbound I-5 Full Freeway Closures - Through April 2014
- Southbound I-5 Intermittent Freeway Closures